Before the journey
This policy should be read in addition to the
Queensland Rail Travel's conditions of carriage and does not alter, waive or modify those conditions.
Age Limit – Unaccompanied Children
We cannot carry unaccompanied children who are under 12.
Any child under 12 must be accompanied by someone who is 16 or older.
If your child is over 12 and less than 16 we will accept a booking for them as an Unaccompanied Child if you follow this policy.
Our Conditions of Carriage still apply
No Unaccompanied Children under 12 on Queensland Rail Travel trains
|How to Book an Unaccompanied Child
Unaccompanied Children can only be booked in person or by calling our Customer Contact Centre.
Unaccompanied children cannot be booked into enclosed sleeping carriages.
You can only book unaccompanied children tickets in person or by phone
- The child's name and age.
- Contact numbers for parents/guardians for the child.
- Names and contact details for the person/s dropping off and collecting the child at the train station.
- Note: We don't allow bookings if the child will not be met at the end of the journey, nor do we accept bookings if the child would need to transfer to/from another train or RailBus service.
- Any special requirements for the child's travel (e.g. allergies, medical conditions).
- Details of any assistance needed getting on or off the service, or during their journey which may include allergy advice, medical conditions, dietary requirements, accessibility.
- Proof of the child's age (a student identification card, birth certificate, passport or other similar documentation).
We need a lot of details to help us keep everyone safe
Once you have a confirmed booking, we will give you a booking number. Please keep this number to yourself and only share it with trusted people. Anyone with this number can get details about, or amend, the child's booking.
We will give you a booking number. Keep it secure
|For the journey|
We strongly recommend that a responsible adult remains at the station with the child until the train has departed.
To assist us in providing the best customer experience possible please ensure that the unaccompanied child:
- Has sufficient food or adequate funds for meals and refreshments during the journey.
- Is carrying identification and proof of age to show to our staff on request. We might have to refuse boarding to the child if we cannot confirm their age and identity at boarding time.
Help ensure a comfortable and safe trip for the child
|No continuous monitoring
Where possible, unaccompanied children will be allocated into sitting cars next to service cars to assist onboard customer service staff to periodically monitor the child during the journey.
That said, the customer service team are serving everyone on the train and so cannot provide continuous care of your child.
We do not provide continuous monitoring of the child
|After the journey
You can call 1800 803 009 for updates on train arrival times.
A responsible adult needs to be at the train station to meet the child at the end of the journey.
Queensland Rail cannot keep the train waiting until an unaccompanied child is picked up from the destination station. If your unaccompanied child is not picked up at the station Queensland Rail may call the police or other relevant authority to take custody of the child.
You need to meet the child at the end of the journey