Queensland Rail Travel's policy allows a carer to travel for free on our services when accompanying a customer with a disability who requires their assistance.
The free carers seat/RailBed or Sleeper is always in the same travel option and near the customer being cared for.
Definition of a Carer
A carer provides personal care, support and assistance to a customer because of disability, frailty, chronic illness or pain, requires assistance with everyday tasks.
Responsibilities of a Carer
A carer travelling with a customer on our services must provide the following assistance to the person they are caring for where required:
- The operation of their mobility device (wheelchairs and mobility scooters).
- The moving of their mobility device, including lifting, carrying it or pushing* it up and down boarding ramps.
- Assistance with carry-on luggage or mobility aids (over 7kg).
- Assistance with food and beverage consumption.
- Giving injections or administering medication.
- Personal care such as emptying colostomy bags, urine bottles or similar equipment. If assistance of this nature is required, please arrange for a carer or companion to travel also.
*Important note: Should you require assistance with pushing a mobility device up and down boarding ramps, we are unable to guarantee that our team members available on the day can safely provide this assistance. It is recommended that you arrange for someone to provide this assistance.
If you are unable to arrange for someone to provide this assistance, please let us know in advance so that we can review your request and advise if it is possible to arrange this assistance.
For more information on the type of assistance our team can provide, please visit Assistance available.
Carer eligibility for free travel
- If the customer requiring a carer holds a Companion Card, the card can be used to access carer's fares.
- If the customer is using Queensland Pensioner Rail Entitlements for their booking, they can provide a letter from a doctor which states there is requirement for a carer to travel with them. The letter allows access to carer's fares and will be valid for 2 years from the date of issue.
The following conditions apply in both circumstances above:
- Travel for carers must be the same travel option, carriage and journey as the accompanying customer they are providing care for.
- If there is a requirement for more than one carer to accompany the customer, this must be supported by a recommendation from a doctor. The recommendation should state there is a requirement for an additional carer due to the level of personal care, support and assistance required for a customer with a disability.
How to make a booking that includes a carer
Accessible Travel Options:
Accessible travel options are only available on the Spirit of Queensland (RailBeds and Economy Seats) and on the Tilt train (Seats).These travel options are labelled Accessible Seat (+accessible space + carers seat) and Accessible RailBed (includes carers RailBed).
The customer requiring the accessible travel option is booked into one of them and the carers name is added to this booking during the booking process.
The carer is not assigned their own allocation on the ticket but will use the carers seat or RailBed that is allocated to the accessible travel option booked. In this situation the carers seat or RailBed is free of charge for eligible carers.
To view the location of the accessible travel option and allocated carers seat or RailBed please visit Carriage Layouts.
Please inform us of any assistance required or information you wish to advise our onboard team when booking.
Standard Travel Options:
When a travel options is chosen that is not accessible, a seat, RailBed or sleeper needs to be booked for both the customer and their carer. The allocations assigned will show on the tickets issued.
To view the location of the assigned allocations please visit Carriage Layouts.
Back to Accessibility
Accessible Facilities by Service
Joining or leaving your service